Monday, May 29, 2006

Houston Photos Part 1

Our trip to Houston was great. Its so delightful to leave your familiar surroundings for a couple of days and hit reset and it's something that Brad and I have to do more of. The only issue is that we live in the galaxy of Texas on Planet Dallas and the the only other planets worth visiting are light years away. In any case we headed out of Dallas on Friday to Houston.

There isn't much south of Dallas on I-45. This Whataburger in Ennis was pretty much the last thing until Hunstville, thats where they have the prison and execute lots of people.

IMG_2118


The void.

IMG_2123


To fill the void eat these.

IMG_2125


As you get closer to Houston its quite clear that Texas has piney forests. I was pleasantly surprised and I enjoyed the setting sun through the trees at this rest area.

IMG_2130


We got into Houston at around nine on Friday, checked in and drove around some to get our bearings on the city. After some exploration we crashed in our room.

The Houston skyline. I enjoy it greatly.

IMG_2201


Also, Houston has many parks, the largest being the foresty Memorial Park, and people use them. It was quite shocked to see people out given how humid it was but was pleased that the city parks were being used. The park in foreground is along the Buffalo Bayou.

After viewing the Body Worlds 3 at the Houston Museum of Natural Science with the lovely Mikey Pod, we headed over to Brad's alma mater of Rice University.

I love the style of the architecture at Rice, its mediterranean but has the perftec touch of whimsy. The campus is shockingly insulated from the city and seems like the perfect place for the pursuit of academics.

IMG_2148


All of the capitals of the columns on the main quad at Rice have ornate reliefs on them. Each one of them features what I believe are prominent figures in academics. My guess is that this one is Plato or JoeMyGod.

IMG_2151


Brad and the entrance to Rice.

IMG_2155


The relief surrounding the arch of the entrance to Rice.

IMG_2156


Brad.

IMG_2162


On the campus of Rice is the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, so named after the 61st Secretary of State. Because I am a history nerd and I had to take a picture next to this piece of the Berlin Wall that sits outside the institute.

IMG_2165


Thats enough photos for now but I promise I have more to show you and I am also going to share my thoughts on Houston, Body Worlds 3, and the trip in general in my next podcast. More to come real soon.

8 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Looks like fun! I love the pictures.

I didn't know Joemygod was so old, lol.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really delightful to meet you guys. Believe me, I don't use the word "delightful" very often. :-)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Guys' Guy said...

When's the trip to the land of Cleves....Cleveland?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ah, I remember 'the void' vividly since for years I drove from Dallas to Houston to visit family. Great city, esp. downtown!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

Aw these are so nice. Those spicy chex mix things are good, but I'm always pissed because they hardly have any nuts in them (or do they at all, where's my salty nuts!). Nice pictures though, esp. of Brad. More Brad, more! He's so delicious, you lucky krablet you.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Great photos, Adam. :)

5:45 PM  
Blogger gayborhood gringo said...

some times it takes an outsider to show you what you've been missing. when i lived there, i either took things for granted or didn't do enough exploring to find the many jems sprinkled throughout the city. thanks for making me miss home.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Jimmi said...

Adam, I didn't know you were so buff! HOTTIE HOTTIE!! :)

I love the pictures. great to see this area from your point of view, its a nice tour de Houston! I've never been but my friend lives there so I know I need to make it down there to see her!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares