Sunday, July 30, 2006

Cinema Avec Ma Mere

Today was mostly spent shopping and doing errands while my mom was in town. She's been here many times and has seen everything of note in the city, which is substantial but still limited. Therefore we had a very nice day of reading, talking, cooking, and eating. We also rented some movies.

Earlier in the day my mother was talking about how my brother's partner designed the set for the previously off-broadway - soon to be on broadway production of "Grey Gardens." Brad had seen the documentary some time ago with a group but I decided to stay in that night. My mother had never seen it and was extremely curious about it.

We headed over to Premiere Video, one of the most comprehensive video stores my mother has ever seen which is a feat to accomplish since she is a New Yorker and is impressed by almost nothing outside of the city limits save for parts of Europe. We picked up the movie and also TransAmerica.

TransAmerica was a cute movie, next.

Grey Gardens was PHENOMENAL!

Filmed in 1975, its a documentary about two women, a mother and a daughter, living in an old run down mansion in the hamptons named, Grey Gardens. These aren't just ordinary women, they are the aunt and cousin to Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Onassis and once part of New York society. But that is hardly what is extraordinary about them. They have since lost their fortune, lost some of their minds, and are left with only the house, Grey Gardens. The mother and daughter primarily live on the patio of their beach home and in a single bedroom. At one point in the movie one of the many cats living in the house with them is relieving itself behind a portrait of the mother when she was young and bejeweled as a member of the upper echelons of the Hampton set. Her reply to the act, "Well I'm glad somebody is doing what they want around here." As much as their lives appear putrid there is beauty an depth of experience to be had. I can't capture the film in words so all I can say is please rent it and watch it for yourself.

I found a "remix" of some scenes from the movie on YouTube:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also a performance from the play on YouTube. I believe that it's from the Drama Desk awards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDS8tkdT_-E

What no further for TransAmerica? Was not the mother clone of Nana! I shrieked in the theater when I saw it.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Sam and I loved Transamerica. :) And the lead boy is cute. :D

9:49 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

That looks like a fascinating character study. Don't know whether to despise or pity them, lol.

Have fun with mama!

10:25 AM  
Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

That is actually one movie I can say I've seen....I ain't much of a movie buff....but Grey Gardens was really good!

9:25 PM  
Blogger gayborhood gringo said...

Yet another movie to add to the ever growing list of films I have not seen. I really want to see it after that "remix". We seriously need to have a movie night here soon.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

oooh, that does look good. Thanks for the recommendation. I like things off the beaten path once in a while.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Michael The Shadow said...

Been meaing to see that movie. Hm...And TransAmerica? Le sigh :)

Have things cooled off yet in Texas heat wise? If not, I'll send ya some California cool air :):)

12:55 AM  
Blogger jeremy said...

holy crap! i can't believe all the homos who have not seen this movie--i'm looking into revoking memberships--or suspension at the least.
made by the maysles bros. who are most famous for 'gimme shelter'.
unfortch, they're making a fiction version of this film starring jessica lange and drew barrymore as big and little edie respectively.

2:45 AM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I loved Grey Gardens, and I made a pretty lengthy post about it back in April, with background info on the Bouviers and a generational treatment of the family. You should check it out...

http://becomingvisible.blogspot.com/2006/04/grey-gardens.html

I also loved Transamerica a completely moving film:)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jimmi said...

Oh MY!!! That certainly looks like a MUST SEE movie. I like movies about people that loose it. And the added bonus that they are former "Society Girls".

I have already added this to my Netflix queue, I hope Kevin doesn't mind LOL.

Transamerica was a pretty good movie. And yes the lead guy was adorable!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jimmi said...

Last night I got Grey Gardens in the mail from Netflix. So I asked Jason and Kevin if they wanted to watch it. We needed something to watch before Project Runway. Kevin wanted no part of it and went to the store. What the HELL was this movie? Those two women where a totally wack! I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of this film was, but just the same I will be sure to tell all my friends this is a must see. I mean I know I am a little off sometimes and enjoy a crazy off color movie but I just was confused at this twisted production. I could have done with some narration too. The worst part was the bed that the old lady slept on. It was covered in cat shit (and not of the solid variety if you catch my drift)

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares