Friday, November 25, 2005

Cemetery Stroll



After a delightful lunch with our friends Patrick and George I decided to take a stroll through Greenwood Cemetery here in Dallas while Brad went off to do some work in his office. Greenwood is right down the street from my apartment and I have been wanting to visit for some time now seeing that many of Dallas' prominent founding families are buried there. There are also numerous veterans of the Confederacy and The Union from the U.S. Civil war buried there as well. The weather was perfectly autumnal for a stroll. Brisk with overcast clouds and gusts of mild wind from time to time rustled the remaining leaves on the trees and the numerous ones on the ground. I had my iPod set to my autumn mix featuring the evocative song stylings of Nick Drake, Nico, and Sufjan Stevens. I felt so relaxed and strolled the cemetery, reading epitaphs, and practicing my hobby of photography.

I did the best I could with the overcast sky. I find that the best times to take photos are in the morning or in the afternoon when the sun isnt directly overhead. Overcast doesnt help either because everything is bathed in a homogenous diffused light. For high contrast subjects thats ok but I prefer there to be more light and shadow in my photos.

I found it a bit odd that the cemetery restricted jogging. I understand why it would be restricted but so many other activities warrant a sign prohibiting their occurrence.

IMG_1230

Now is the best time for fall color in Dallas.

IMG_1223

Many of the monuments in this cemetery were remarkably austere. These two were some of the most ornate. They pale in comparison to some of the monuments at other old cemeteries around the nation but were still nice to look at.

IMG_1222

IMG_1218

These are the graves of the Union veterans of the U.S. civil war. The Confederate veterans were scattered about the cemetery and marked by bronze stars stuck into the ground near their monuments. From what I gathered all the men in this plot were all in the same brigade but from various states.

IMG_1228

If you're interested in more photos there are more on flickr. I have a badge on the right sidebar, just click on it and enjoy!

5 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

Adam - fantastic pictures. I love to wander around old cemeteries. In Richmond, I would haunt, no pun intended, Hollywood Cemetery where Jefferson Davis is buried, James Madison and many others. Something very calming to me about a cemetery...

10:31 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Great photos. I love the one of the statue with the bare branches and sky overhead. Thanks!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Chox said...

Beautiful shots...I'm going to have to photgraph Lake View Cemetery in Cleveland next time I'm home.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Beautiful gallery of photos :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Fanastic shots!

I find myself drawn to cemeteries too. I spent a whole day in New Orleans driving from one to another filling my camera to capacity. There is something just as intriguing about endings as there is about beginings.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares