Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Exposed



Nathan, over at Nathan Exposed, suggested this idea of exposing yourself by posting a picture from inside your home and explaining it to everyone on your blog. Well here it is.

IMG_1257

This is our living room and it's my favorite place in our apartment. It's very cozy and as you can see we have it all decorated for the holidays. We spend most of our time here watching TV, reading, playing cards, or just talking. One of my favorite things to do though is to get take out food and eat it off the coffee table while sitting on the floor while watching a movie. There is something about doing that that just feels so great. It's inexplicable.

You can see on the wall behind our couch a Roy Lichtenstein print. We are both fans of pop art and surrealism and we really enjoy Lichetenstein's "WHAAM!" On the adjacent wall we have an original work by a friend of a friend. Its Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks" but its been invaded by Barbie dolls. Underneath the image it says, "When will it end?" Below the Barbie invasion is a lamp that belonged to my late brother, Douglas. He picked out that lamp for his bedroom when he moved to Arizona with my family and that's one of the reasons why I treasure it. The other is that its actually a Spanish-colonial candelabra with a copper lampshade that has tiny pinholes in it.

IMG_1271

My absolute favorite thing in our living room is our coffee table. Its an old table that used to belong to the mother of Brad's ex. The legs were sawed off to make it an appropriate coffee table height. Brad had it when I met him five years ago and I immediately noticed it when I entered his apartment. Under the glass were tons of ticket stubs, photos, fortunes, magazine clippings, business cards from restaurants, you get the idea. I loved it. We've since added our own stuff to the table and still kept some of the original content. It's a nice conversation piece and its a great way to remember all of the places we've been together and the memories we've had.

One more thing. Above our fireplace is a framed promotional poster for David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars." It wasn't really possible for me to photograph it. We're both David Bowie fans and we really enjoy having him in all of his glam glory over our fireplace.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Apartment - fits both of you quite well.

Glad to see the lamp again! That is the best lamp. I love having family pieces to lug about from each and every abode. I still have Papa's leather chair in my apartment plus now a couch and another chair from them too! I am beyond envious of the Ziggy poster. So glad I saw him when the Reality Tour was in Phx. It was a spiritual experience.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Edward Hopper is one of my favourite artists! Love your place. Very homey. :)

3:28 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Great tree too. We always eat at the coffee table sitting on the floor. Love the scrap book coffee table too.

Cool idea.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

NICE digs... love the coffee table - very warm and inviting looking.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exquisite. :) I miss you both! =*)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Scott. You should still do it. If its your space and you like being in it then its perfect.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Thanks for exposing yourself :)

I love your living room. The atmosphere really feels like "home".

The artwork is awesome and the coffee table is a creative touch. That's a beautiful lamp too with great memories attached to it.

Everything looks great. I love it!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

VERY nice! It looks warm and cozy. I LOVE the coffee table idea. We do the same with ours (eat on the floor whilst watching TV.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to give you extra praise for having 2 beautiful Macs sitting side by side :)

10:43 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Thanks Nathan. There is another, he lives in our bedroom though.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Tony Adams said...

Fascinating, but how about a shot of that Hopper-cum-Barbies? I do love a room with enough space in it so you can walk from one end to the other without knocking stuff over. The Ephemera-Under-Glass also works for us, but some of the dust on our glass is as old as the ticket stubs.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares