Tuesday, December 27, 2005

On My Own Time



What a lovely day. I have the entire week off courtesy of the director of the institute. Bottom line is that I don't have to go back to work until Jan 3rd. I woke up, went to the gym, ate some lunch, and farted around at home.

The gym was delightful. I don't normally go at noon during the week but it was nice being one of the only five people there. I suspect that in the coming days there will be a mass migration of people that I've never seen before suddenly using their memberships. There will also be those who are going to be making the annual pilgrimage to try and make good on some resolution to get into shape. Normally I'd welcome all the fresh meat but let's be honest here, those that are already hot are not going to be joining a gym after the holidays. Sigh.

Farting around at home entailed me making some new music in Garage Band. For those of you that don't know what Garage Band is, it's an application by Apple that allows you to mix various instrumental samples together into a song. You can also hook up a keyboard and make your own original music as well. Today I made a latin song. I usually restrict myself to making songs with the dark synth sounds or the cheesy 70's ballad piano loops. This is my first foray into the latin loops. I think its kinda hokey but I'll share it with you anyway.

Click to listen

Last night we visited our local Crate and Barrel because now that we are going to be living in a larger space (from 850 sq. ft. to 1240 sq.ft.) we need stuff to fill it with. I love C&B and I think every one of their stores is a photographic treasure trove. Since I have become that annoying nerd who take his digital camera with him everywhere I snapped a few shots. Some were to capture some items that we liked and others were just for fun.

IMG_1443
I liked the colors of these bowls and I also have a thing for concentric circles.

IMG_1441
Like Warhol I have a penchant for items that are mass produced and the aesthetic of repetition.

IMG_1438
If you stare at this photo long enough, especially the largest version on my flickr account, the frame of the mirror starts to look like a long room and my hand with the camera almost looks like an alien waiting at the end of the room.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

THAT is what I thought it was to start with! Geeze i must be a freak...I was going, "What damned mirror???"

2:45 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I love those mugs - they are gorgeous!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Love the tune - nicely done - did you import all the pieces and are you on the keyboard?

LOVE the bowls... Crate and Barrel?

9:08 AM  
Blogger jjd said...

"if you stare at it long enough my hand becomes an alien.."

yes. you clearly have too much time on your hands...

10:21 AM  
Blogger AvR said...

The shots are great! I'm with Scotty, I thought it WAS a hall at first....of course, I also need to have my contacts checked. Everything's gotten increasingly blurry over the last month.

I hope I don't have a tumor in my eye.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Earl Cootie said...

GREAT photos! (And I, too, saw the alien in the tunnel before I saw the camera in the mirror.)

11:07 AM  
Blogger tim said...

Alien in the tunnel? Okay, can we say "new hobby"? I need to go to C&B to take advantage of sales. Need some new stuff. Despite what the partner says.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

I love crate and barrel! We don't have them here in Nashville :( I miss them.

And they have some sort of CB2, which I've only seen online. It's like a modern spin on Crate and Barrel from the same company.

You have a beautiful eye for photography

11:22 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

I downloaded your new music mix. very nice.

it reminds me of this song I heard in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

snazzy :)

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares