Monday, May 29, 2006

Houston Photos Part 2

After touring the campus of Rice we decided to head over to a shopping center that was close by to find something to eat. In our exploration we stumbled upon Chloe Dao's boutique, Lot 8.

IMG_2166


Eventually we spotted Kahn's, a local jewish deli. We had no knowledge of this establishment but it was such a happy accident that we stumbled onto this place. We had the best hot pastrami sandwiches I have ever had besides Katz's. A hot pastrami sandwich is best accompanied by a Dr. Pepper made with real Imperial Sugar cane sugar, not the kind with the corn syrup, YUCK.

IMG_2168


We sat outside and ate our lunch watching the really pretty clouds coming up from the gulf.

IMG_2169


After lunch we headed over to the galleria area of Houston. This is where Williams Tower is located and I found my new favorite skyscraper. Skyscrapers are a bit of an obsession of mine and I just love love love Williams tower for the fact that it has an art deco style and is yet still ultra modern. Add it to the list of reasons why I think Philip Johnson was a terrific architect.

IMG_2171


Around the galleria area the streets labels are on giant chrome rings suspended over the intersection. Additionally all of the lamp and traffic light posts are chrome and it makes for a very clean, space-like environment, quite suiting for Houston.

IMG_2172


At 901 feet (about as tall as the Chrysler building) the Williams tower is by some standards the tallest building in the world that is not in a "central business district." I hope you enjoyed that useless fact. I did.

IMG_2181


At the base of Williams tower is another reason to love Philip Johnson, The Water Wall.

IMG_2180


From inside the waterwall looking back at Williams tower.

IMG_2183


From the back of the waterwall looking towards the tower.

IMG_2186


The walk signals look like Cylons.

IMG_2190


After the photo buffet at Williams tower Brad took us to The Beer Can House. This house was owned by an old man who basically covered it in old beer cans. He died and the Orange Show Center for Visionary Art has taken it over and are working to restore it.

IMG_2197


I love repetition of ordinary elements in design and the fence captivated me.

IMG_2192


IMG_2195


There's a Bookstop that is in an old movie theatre. I love when buildings get repurposed and I applaud large companies when they do this rather than building new big box stores. In any case the murals inside the old theatre were restored and were quite impressive. Here's the ceiling.

IMG_2210


A wall.

IMG_2212


Brad at the Waterwall at night.

IMG_2220


Waterwall at night, I think this is the best time to see it.

IMG_2231


IMG_2227


I love House of Pies, aka House of Guys. This is an old 24 hour diner and I love it because the pie is excellent, the decor hasn't changed since it was built, and the waitresses wear uniforms and are super friendly and call everyone "sugar" and "hon." I highly recommend it whether drunk and in need of some sobering late night food or just because you need that slice of pie.

IMG_2237

14 Comments:

Blogger Guys' Guy said...

Adam,

How did you end up with such a man.?? Brad is such a hunk!!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Seeker Onos said...

Pretty cool pics, the beer can house must definitely be an interesting tourist attraction.

And you are freakishly huge (well built)...! Yeeeps, how much time do you spend at the gym?

8:52 PM  
Blogger Earl Cootie said...

Great photos! My parents now live in Katy (a suburb of Houston), but whenever I visit them, they never want to go to the city. So, consequently, I've not seen Houston since we lived in New Orleans when I was a kid. Ha. The last time I saw the Galleria, it was only a few years old.

9:23 PM  
Blogger gayborhood gringo said...

okay, i just posted a statement meant for this post in the previous one, but whatever.

aww...i miss 'house of guys.' i've actually never sampled any of their pies, but i have had my share of guys. yummmmm!

oh, i want to go back now! we should take a road trip down there later this summer if you want to go back.

10:56 PM  
Blogger VJnet said...

Wow! looks like it was beautiful day :)

1:26 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Wait, did the sign say "fajitas benedict" - Um, can you get anymore redneck, lol!

I love the photos adam, and I love that you "love" so many things. The "jetsons" style poles and signs are really neat, I've only passed through Houston, so I didn't know about that.

6:27 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

Totally awesome photos!

Did you go in Lot 8? Did you meet Chloe? Did you scream like obsessed fans?

I *so* would have ...

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jihadist Jerry said...

Oooo, I is like Dr. Pecker. Super yummy. I think I may hire you as body gaurd for my wives, you is super humugous. Can you handle a Glock?

9:09 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Oooh – Did you ride the new Houston Metro Train? I love it because it is so short (about a 15 minute ride), has only one track (The Red Line, don’t you know?), and is entirely clean and unused. It’s kinda like a Disney ride – well, without the fun and singing puppets. Texas has a ways to go before we catch up on that whole mass transit thing. Houston is trying, though, and I give them credit for that.

I am glad you and Brad had a good time!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

Very serene, I'm imagining this carries over into the podcast. Can't wait to listen.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Phillip Johnson was a GOD... I would love to see the WaterWall in person... the pics are excellent...

I am totally a frustrated amature architect...

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

What a great collection of photography!
I love the black and white photos, esp. the shadow and waterfall shot ;)

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The waterfall in Houston is one of the best places in Texas, although I prefer the water gardens in Ft. Worth.

11:10 AM  
Blogger DEREK said...

man that waterfall is beautiful! Enjoying your blog.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares