Thursday, October 20, 2005

Laundry List



-Well after last night's post I received a response from my brother-in-law to the effect of "dont put words in my mouth," and "I didnt mean to draw a comparison with the composer of this crap to Nameless Soldier." Okay, If you didn't then maybe next time you should preface your anecdote with "On an unrelated note" so as to avoid any confusion. I think I'm going to be forbidden from their home at this rate. Enough of that.

-Some devastating news today at work. Another lab beat the lab that I joined in August in publishing data that my group have been working on for over a year and a half. It is almost identical work and the really irritating thing is that the people who published this work were in attendance at a talk that my PI (Boss) gave on the research last year. This happens quite frequently in research. It really is risky to present data that hasn't been submitted for review at large conferences.

When I was in undergrad a grad student that I worked with gave a poster presentation at a conference and eight months after the conference a paper was published by another group. She knew who they were as she remembers that they were asking very insightful and detailed questions about her work at the poster session. As we say in academia: Publish or Perish.

-I'm working on Part 2 of Growing Pains. I usually make my postings while I'm slowly deteriorating after a long day but I want to make sure I get everything correct for this story. It is a kind of chronicle for me.

-Although I responded with my own comment, I'd like to respond to something that an Anonymous commentor wrote about on my post Gastronomic Adventure and Tepid Beginnings. My account of Rocket Bar was in no way trying to discourage new gay, or non gay, bars from sprouting up around Dallas. In fact I want there to be more bars other than the usual disneyesque suspects on the strip. I was just stating my impressions of the establishment and where I think it fell short. I would love there to be more variety of society but just because a place is the anti of another wont draw me to it. One such place that breaks the Dallas mold and that I like to frequent is Minc Lounge 813 Exposition Ave. Dallas, TX. 75226 Its a great place that was created with very basic materials but still provides a unique and exotic lounge experience. In any case thanks for your comment Anonymous.

-And on that note: I'd like to thank all of you who have been posting comments. I love to hear back on my musings and what you think or how you disagree or agree or whatever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

In that case, hola!
But a warning: comments can become addictive. Oh yes.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Knute123 said...

What is wrong with your brother in law? I think armed forces radio's Rush Limbaugh is going to his head.

Clearly, his email implied that Nameless soldier was somehow more patriotic than the song's proponents. Why else would he mention Nameless soldier, and a seeming extraneous story, at all?

Surely your bro-in-law didn't think your whole family needed to know that anecdote about his volunteering for duties overseas. It really seems to me as if he was trying to make a point about some of us being more dedicated to this "war" than others.

I cannot see any reason why the Battle Hymn email required such a lengthy response otherwise.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares