Saturday, October 08, 2005

Peer Gynt and Other Disasters



Last night was surreal. I opted to not go to the gym and came home and crashed for an hour or so. Brad woke me up and we went out to go see a play at the Meadows School for the Arts. On our way to the play we had to stop to get something to eat. Our usual fast casual places were overrun with Texas and OU people in town for the game today at the Cotton Bowl.

We were forced to eat McDonalds in our car on the way to the theatre. It was the first time in I dont know how long I ate the stuff. I had the chicken selects. I have to say their neither resembled chicken nor any kind of selectivity.

We arrived at the theatre on time and got into our seats. Shortly after we sat down an older Indian couple came up to us and said we were in their seats. It was impossible since an usher had shown us to our seats and she clearly read our tickets. We double checked and the tickets were identical. While the Indian man went to the ticket office to settle the matter his wife sat next to me and began telling me how they had been going to the Meadows productions for over 30 years. I hate to be rude but I didnt want to hear it.

The play was terrible. It was an adaptation of Ibsen's Peer Gynt. The childhood, middle age, and old age and eventual death of a man searching for his self. The production was horrid, so many bad choices. One of them included the bright Idea of playing the song "Desert Rose" by Sting to indicate that one of the scenes was set in Morocco. You know the song, its the one with the man howling in tongues but he sounds like a middle eastern woman. While this song played, which I loathe along with all other things Sting, they had the female company out on stage belly dancing for what seemed like an eternity.

Bad theatre is so exhausting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

McDonalds, Sting and Belly Dancing? Are you sure you weren't in Bedford? :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Shauntae AuPair said...

Dearest Adam,

Your big mistake was to break from tradition. Should have stuck with the Chicken McNuggets - a classic choice and you know what to expect. Processed de-boned 'meat' by-products pressed into cute fun shapes for pudgy kiddy fingers. How can you go wrong?

I completely agree that there is nothing worse than bad theatre. I have an unapologetic aversion to the stage because it's better to be safe than sorry.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares