Monday, October 10, 2005

You're Uninvited


Today at the gym a man was waiting next to me while I was finishing up my lest set on the leg press. I got off and told him that I was finished. "Its all yours," I said. He proceeded to talk but I couldn't hear him. I couldn't hear him because my iPod was playing and I have noise reducing headphones exactly for the purpose that I don't want to hear him. I was forced to do something that really bothers me, pause my iPod and leave my happy work out zone to listen to what this man had to say.

"I think you're locking you're legs too much when you extend, it puts extra stress on the ligaments," he said. I politely said thanks and started to walk away then he started again, "Plus I noticed that you just leave a lot of weight on when you do your sets. You should really start heavy and then decrease your weight." I tried very hard to remain acquiescent and said thank you and walked away grinding my teeth while reinserting my noise reducing headphones into my ears and turning up the volume on my iPod as much as I could stand.

I hate to sound like a jackass but I think its important to inform you readers that this man was in no position, nor physical condition, to be offering such advice. Furthermore, I think its rather odd that this man took note of my entire leg press workout and found something to say about it. Thanks for the critique but unsolicited advice is not welcome unless you happen to be a title bearing professional body builder. Even then I'll be a bit leary. If I ever see this man devouring a cheeseburger I'll be sure to give him some pointers on how to best to get the food from the plate into his mouth efficiently.

A prince nevertheless should always take counsel, but only when he wants it, and not when others wish to thrust it upon him; in fact, he should rather discourage persons from tendering him advice unsolicited by him. But he should be an extensive questioner, and a patient listener to the truth respecting the things inquired about, and should even show his anger in case any one should, for some reason, not tell him the truth.
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince (1513), chapter XXIII, How to Avoid Flatterers

Sorry for the two negative posts. I promise I'll have something nice to say soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brettcajun said...

I am laughing my ass off. I am sorry you had that ordeal at the gym. My only gripe at the gym comes from "Hey, buddy... can I work in with you?" It is a gripe of mine because my gym is HUGE. There are plenty machines. Why can't he simply do something else and wait a few more minutes until I am done?

8:31 AM  
Blogger Shauntae AuPair said...

Ha! I have an 80 year old who ALWAYS comes up to me and says, 'If I tried to lift that much, I would think the machine was broken." Same joke, every time, and the iPod barrier is never an effective shield.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Knute123 said...

Let the negativity reign down from the heavens!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares