Sunday, December 04, 2005

Say It Sunday: Transcribed



Audioblogger seems to be taking the day off so I am going to just write down what I had tried to post twice with audioblogger earlier today.

First of all I never mentioned Scotty over at The Other Side of Straight. I just wanted to say thanks to him for organizing Say It Sunday.

Family Life


I've had more down time than usual this past week at work and of course I've been reading many a blog. I have noticed that several gay bloggers have been recounting stories of familial issues, especially over the holidays, regarding their sexuality. I have to say that these stories make me very sad and my heart goes out to everyone that has to deal with that kind of bullshit. I hate to use such a trite and vulgar term to describe it but I think its appropriate. I am truly lucky to have a family that supports me and my partner and our life together.

Be that as it may I do realize that my situation is unique being that I had two gay brothers come out years before me and that one of them passed away. The lesson that came from that though is that our time here is shorter than you realize and no one should take family for granted. So many people hold grudges thinking that they have enough time to make amends but all too often its too late and they lose the opportunity to let people know that they really cared.

I think the best thing to do in strained family situations that result from sexuality is to always offer the olive branch. Make yourself open to them and put the ball in their court. That way you know that you did the best you could to build a relationship with them.

Politics


I wanted to draw attention to a great op-ed post in the Huffington Post that was posted on Friday by jane Smiley. She wrote a response to an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal by Holman W. Jenkins Jr. which stated that he thought that people who buy Toyota Priuses are getting duped because they are not getting the most for their money. She defends her Prius and that she buys natural organic foods for the hope of creating more demand for such products so that they no longer are premium; so that everyone will be able to eat healthy foods and drive economical and environmentally conscious vehicles. She also touches on some great points on how deregulation was the worst thing to ever happen to this country. You can check it out here

Pop Life


I'm really excited this week because on wednesday is the season premiere of Project Runway 2. For those of you that missed the show last season its basically The Apprentice for fashion designers. I hope this season has personalities as large as last season's Jay McCarroll, Kara Saun, and the Capote-esque Austin Scarlett.

Have a good week everyone!

7 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

So totally different from mine... I am SO GLAD you transcribed your SIS post Adam... Thanks!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Yea, I posted a concised version of my Say-It Sunday post. I had a HUGE post this week and it recorded and said it posted, howeverit never showed up!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Earl Cootie said...

Yeah, that Jane Smiley, she's something, isn't she? I read one of her pieces a couple of weeks ago. It's so reassuring that so many of the smart ones are on our side.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Interesting observation about the family vs being gay issues. I haven't got to them yet but I think I will shortly. *sigh*

9:44 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Hey, too bad it wasn't working. Great stuff whether written or spoken.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Shauntae AuPair said...

Yeah yeah yeah, politics. OMG!!! Project Runway!!!! I was constantly repeating "Either you're in, or you're out!" in my worst German accent. Eeeeee! I am so excited!

10:39 AM  
Blogger jeremy said...

hey the link to the audio blog was up yesterday--what happened?

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares