Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sent Home


Well the temp here in Dallas is down to 27F right now and everyone at my work is freaking out. There is this arctic blast moving in and its supposed to cause some snow-sleet-winter mix whatever. Anyway it snowed for about five minutes and my lab manager tells me to just finish up what I'm doing and get home. He then made arrangements with a coworker to stay at her house tonight because he has an hour commute to one of the mid cities (any 'burb that is inbetween Dallas and Ft. Worth is called a mid city). It is highly unlikely that he will be getting home tonight. I tried to argue that I didn't really need to go home and I could stay and finish up the work but he wouldn't have any of it. I don't see what all the fuss is but if they insist that I go home then I cannot argue.

At my old old job if you couldn't make it into work because of weather you needed to present documentation along with a treatise to a tribunal of 9 just so you could justify using vacation time for your absence. I'd always sing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by The Smiths, "In my life, why do I give valuable time to people who don't care if I live or I die?" I love being at a private institution.

I do feel guilty though. Many of the other staff here have kids that are in school and I believe that if anyone should be sent home first it should be them. I live ten minutes from work by car and if I really needed to I could just walk home if the ice was too much. My other colleagues live out in the mid-ctiies and therefore it is inevitable that they have to cross a plethora of bridges and highway overpasses/interchanges that will most likely be iced over. All I have to do is cross over one freeway overpass and I'm home.

Oh I forgot to mention that its Pearl Harbor Day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

I've got to say I've never been sent home because of a snow storm. We were sent home once because it was too hot and the air conditioning broke down. :)

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares