Saturday, January 14, 2006

Only in Dallas

So as part of my effort to be more social this year I went out after work last night and didn't get home till around midnight. Now for some this is common practice but I am a creature of habit, perhaps too habitual. Usually on a Friday after work I make a beeline for the gym, head home after working out, cook, watch TV, internet, read some and then sleep. I think if I continue on this course I will be in danger of becoming the main character of a Lifetime movie.

The evening began at happy hour at Avanti in the Fountain Place tower in downtown Dallas. This bar is exactly the kind of place that I like to go to. Its corporate and reeks of anonymity. Think of the bar where Glenn Close and Michael Douglas have a drink for the first time in Fatal Attraction. Its the kind of place where illicit affairs begin, born out of the constraints of corporate protocol. That combined with three dollar Bloody Marys and I was in love.

IMG_1484
The highlight of my evening was when we went to Adair's Saloon in the Deep Ellum district of Dallas. Its a honky tonk that has survived in spite of Dallas' efforts to be the cosmopolitan epicenter of planet Texas. The quirkiest aspect about this place was that they didn't sell bottles of beer but instead sold cans. I don't think I've ever been to a bar that has done that and I actually kind of liked it. I was completely bowled over when I saw a sign over the bar "$2 Pabst Blue Ribbon." At that moment I had to give in to my surrounds and go with the flow. I solicited my friends for some bills and approached the bar to get my trashy-ass can o' beer. I returned to my group, propped myself against the Golden Tee machine, opened my first place beer and observed the quintessential Texan crowd. Its not really my scene but it's nice to know that there are places in the city where you can get cheap trashy beer.

I'm glad I went out.

11 Comments:

Blogger Earl Cootie said...

I love Deep Ellum. Well, at least I did back in '89, i.e. the last time I was in Dallas.

And PBR has been making a big comeback for the past several years. (Preferred by bloggers nationwide, from what I've read. Perhaps because of the price tag?)

6:21 PM  
Blogger DanNation said...

Sounds great to decide to do something out of the routine and have fun deviating a bit...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Aethlos said...

WHOOHOO! :)

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are plenty of places where you could get cheap, trashy beer, but... well, you'd have to venture north of mockingbird. lol. ;-)

12:55 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Sounds fun. I like the cheap dirty places better than the slick trendy ones. Too much BS in the latter.

Good for you on getting out, I MUST do the same.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Nothing wrong with cheep trashy beer in a laid back bar - FAR better than fighting the twinks and fashion queens at some trendy place - I need to follow your lead and get out more.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

The ONLY beer I like is BUDLITE. In my fat days, I avoid beer because the bloating feeling is bad for my ego. In those days, I drink Vodka, Soda and Lime. Another benefit to drinking this is your breath smells a better than beer breath after a couple hours.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Kiss My Mike said...

hi, i found your blog from gay empire!

i never tasted that beer. but i wouldn't mind shelling $2 for that. i don't think there's anything at any bar right now that costs less than $8.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Cheap trashy fun. God, that sounds like fun.....but I would of opted for the Bud Light in a can! Makes me want to go out and buy a "double wide".

6:28 PM  
Blogger jjd said...

pbr.. now thats fine drinkin

6:48 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Oh my God! PBR? I haven't seen that stuff in years. Let me be more specific...I haven't seen that since I was a child in the 80's and all the manly men in my family sat around and drank it during family cook-outs.

You're so butch, Adam :D

When I think of a night on the town in Texas, that's exactly the beer that comes to mind. Great way to break the mold.

But I was so looking forward to your Lifetime movie.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares