Sunday, February 05, 2006

Late Sunday Night Blabber

Saturday was mostly spent puttering about the house. I am totally convinced that the previous owners of this house never cleaned it. After scraping paint off some of the windows I proceeded to attack the dirt that lay caked on them. To know me is to know that I love to clean so I was in heaven.

Before I started my task of de-scumming the windows I started a loaf of bread that I was to bring to a housewarming party later that evening. I was dreading attending the party but I forced myself to go as part of my effort to be more social. It turned out to be a wise choice. I had fun.

The highlight of the evening was when everyone at the fete got to sample a bottle of Dom Perignon. Now it is my understanding that this is supposed to be one of the best champagnes so when I when I tasted it I expected to be blown away. My palette was going to be spoiled and I would no longer be able to savor the five dollar bottles of Cava that I have come to love. I raised my plastic cup to my lips sipped and tasted. I turned to a colleague that was standing next to me and said, "That was disappointing." She added, "Well I wouldn't say that its worth any more than the twenty dollar bottles of champagne, but no more than twenty for sure." I nodded my head in a agreement and slammed the rest of the liquid quickly down my throat. Maybe my palette isn't sophisticated enough or maybe it was the plastic cup.

8 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Kind of like the $125 cotton tank top at Armani Exchange. You pay for the name.

6:16 AM  
Blogger tim said...

Two things... the plastic cup?!?!?!?! Uh, big no no. Destroys the experience.

Second, Dom Perignon is known for it's un-tart, yeasty, full-bodied, over-bearing, meaty mouthfeel. Cava is about light, effervescent, tart, freshness.

Stay away from the Dom.

7:13 AM  
Blogger joey said...

I totally agree. You are paying for the name. But then again I'm Italian and we drink Asti :)

7:19 AM  
Blogger jjd said...

i'm with joey on the asti. good sweet stuff.

and we all know 80% of the experience is presentation: drinking out of a plastic cup would pretty much ruin that for me.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Sometimes the anticipation is much greater than the event...

10:43 AM  
Blogger DanNation said...

I suggest shipping champagne on yachts in Nice, where a girls seen some things she a'int s'posed to see. I've never been to paradise and I've never been to me.

1:08 PM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Yeah, I have to echo the anti-plastic cup sentiments. If you are using plastic cups, why not just serve flat Pepsi and be done with it?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Seeker Onos said...

Yeek. Champagne has never really been my thing, but I would take Asti in a nice (champagne) flute any day.

Never had Dom before, so my phillistine palate will have to take your word for it. :)

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares