Monday, March 06, 2006

Balance

I spent a good part of the day yesterday reading the new issue of Texas Monthly and Harpers. After finishing my reading I felt like there is so much going on around me that I need to be dedicating all of my resources to inciting change. Therefore when I give mental energy to things that are meaningless, like the Oscars, I think that I've wasted myself on something that doesn't matter. I could have used that energy elsewhere. I wind up feeling guilty and superficial.

However, I can rationalize that even in these dark times its OK to be superficial sometimes. We assume, in our day to day lives, different persona oscillating in and out, two and fro, each one a hyperbolic expression of what is at the core. It's important to not stay on the edges too long and come back to center. It's also important to not stay in the center too long and grow stale. In this and in other things I must remind myself that its all about balance.

5 Comments:

Blogger Seeker Onos said...

Balance is very important.

Recognizing and dealing with the things that affect us is a key part of our role as men; we must not allow ourselves to be dominated by our fears and concerns, but overcome them.

Sometimes, a healthy dose of complete irrelevance and irreverence goes a long way toward keeping the balance, and keep the monsters from consuming our every thought.

12:12 PM  
Blogger jjd said...

my life mantra: "everything in moderation, including moderation."

it may not sound like its saying anything, but I would disagree!

9:37 PM  
Blogger DanNation said...

Your Harper's podcast was phenomenal - let's talk about taking action some more.

11:07 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Yes, balance is key. But sometimes it's hard to know if you're there until it gets all unbalanced.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good comment, Adam.

Entertainment is important too, it keeps you from microfocusing or becoming too consumed.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares