Thursday, March 02, 2006

An evolution of sorts.

I have nothing to share today. I think I've reached that point in my blogging where I've recounted all of my best stories and I'm just going to have to go out and get myself into situations for the sake of the survival of this blog.

No. I won't do that. I do, however, need to perhaps cut down on the posting. I find that it takes more and more energy to come up with something to say on a daily basis. I also would like more time to read something other than the internet. Not that I don't love to read y'all's blogs. In fact, I'm more addicted than I would care to admit but I need to make more time to get information from other mediums. My uncle got me a subscription to Harpers last Christmas and I've barely cracked any of the issues. I've had a subscription before and found every issue to be so incredibly rich and enjoyable. Lately I've been feeling guilty and slovenly that I haven't made time to sit down and really read the issues.

I'm a perfectionist at heart and everything that I do I subject to extreme criticism. Most of all though whenever I create something and put it out in the world I ask whether or not it was truly me. If it's not then in my view it wasn't a creation but simply a means of capturing gratuitous attention from passers by. Thats not what I want this to be about. I want this to blog to be spontaneous and I want you to experience my thoughts and experiences as they occur organically. So, in short, posting won't be so daily from here on out and by NO means should this be taken as a farewell. I am certainly not planning on leaving the blogosphere. In July I kind of restarted blogging and I've been really satisfied with the result and proud of what I have written here. I want to maintain that kind of quality for my own and for your enjoyment.

15 Comments:

Blogger Darin said...

Hmmm...I recall gettin' an earful from you here in Phoenix, Mistress GAdam, about MY lack of posting everyday.

Welcome to the club!

That's the great thing about blogging - you do it when and if you want. It's all for you. We're just the ones who are lucky enough to have you share with us.

1:13 AM  
Blogger tim said...

Whatever, you're leaving me. What about my needs?!?!?! *crumples into a sobbing mess on the floor*

Seriously, just write down your thoughts as they come. They can be one sentence, they can be ten. They can be one word, then can be ten.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Restoring the balance, I had to do the same! :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

I'm just going to have to go out and get myself into situations for the sake of the survival of this blog.

Have you thought about getting yourself a monkey? I am just saying it would generate plenty of stories. Think about it: a MONKEY.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

That was really well worded, Adam. I think that's pretty much how I feel myself. Isn't it strange when we reach that point? Like we don't know what else to say.

Well I completely understand how you feel and where you're coming from with this. Do as you please :)

Your pals love you either way.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Well, sometimes I get stumped in being more original. I ALWAYS have something to say. But sometimes I feel like I should spare my readers from the endless parade of gratuitous photos of myself, photos of my dogs on the couch with me, pictures of the horses, or stories about my tennis. I think sometimes my blog becomes STALE. But you know what? That is what podcasting is for! Hell, I can always do a jiggy jiggy dance in a video podcast to break the monotony... or do an audio podcast to reveal more about my personality. In the end of the day, your loyal readers already love everything you write about. They keep coming back for more because you have already interested them in your style and what you have to say.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Adam - post when you feel like it man - we will be here to read it when you do!

12:07 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

Sometimes it feels like pressure, and then I remember my blog is actually my journal and not there to make people laugh or peak their interest. So I blog what I've done the previous day, no matter how unimportant, In this way I have a record. Looking back through the blog, it's really cool to see every day documented.

:)

1:47 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

No need to explain, if it starts to become a chore, the quality will suffer anyway, right? I know some of my posts are sh*t, but they are usually me. And I know you can't hit a home run every day.

Be careful though, because now you may raise the bar on yourself on what is acceptable to post.

You can count on my continued loyalty : )

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From various people out there, it seems like this feeling comes and goes in waves. Sometimes, it's permanent.

You know, if each of us had written a book or something, we'd be done, and then on to the next book. Or some other project with a different theme. But, we're writing about ourselves, and maybe there's only so much to say.

Or... maybe that's only what we think... It's amazing what's hidden inside each of us!

You'll be fine, I'm sure

7:25 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Just do what feels right. I post every day more as a way to document my life and if people like it then great, if not...OK...it is there and sometimes it can be quite broing and mundane. But it is an outlet. I doubt I will ever run out of things to say but who knows! Regardless we are here to read you whenever you post!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Tony Adams said...

Martin Heidegger wrote at length about "small talk" (bavarder). Americans in particular are addicted to it, and acquire tech toys that feed the addiction. Blogging is the weakest form of this addiction. The most obvious is the cell phone addiction, and the phrase "Hey. So what are you doing?" is emblematic of the malaise.

Little by little, I'm losing my ability to (desire to) make small talk. I find that friends appreciate this, but strangers in elevators and on subway cars think I am cold or threatening. Who cares. Too many people are surrendering their inner person to traffic. There is no obligation to do this. Some do it because they fear that their inner room is empty. They want to furnish it with you. Let's not aspire to become sofas for anxious transients.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I'm right there too. But as soon as you decide you have nothing to say, something pops up.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Be careful though, because now you may raise the bar on yourself on what is acceptable to post."

Wise words. Spontaneity is what blogging is all about.

1:06 PM  
Blogger jjd said...

would it be a bit, hm, drole? if i admitted to understanding this sentiment as well?

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares