Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Classic Never Dies

I want to podcast but my host says I only have 16 megabytes available until older episodes get archived, hardly enough for a proper podcast. That will have to wait.

Last night Brad and I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's. Unlike many gay men it is not my favorite movie but it is one of those movies, for me, that I can watch over and over again without growing tired of it. Additionally, its a movie where every time I watch it I seem to notice something that I never saw or heard before in it. Last night I made these observations.

  • Holly's couch is not a mid-century modern leucite concoction but instead a claw foot tub with one side removed. I can't believe I never noticed that.

  • The scene, to be more precise the instant where Holly, Paul, and Mrs. Failenson meet is brilliantly acted by all three players. They all cast gazes at each other that express an instant mutual understanding, as if they'd all met before.

  • Now I could be totally off the mark on this one but I think I am correct in thinking that the woman, Irving, that OJ speaks to early on at Holly's party is a trannie. First there is the name Irving itself but there is also the following discussion that OJ has with Paul about whether or not "she's real." I believe the ambiguity of who the she is is initially vague on purpose before it becomes clear that OJ is asking Paul about Holly.

  • In line with the previous item I just noticed the overall theme of authenticity. Authenticity of self and of love. For example the Tiffany's jeweler is captivated by the Cracker Jack ring in spite of the fact that he's surrounded by some of the most spectacular jewels in the world. The Cracker Jack ring is more authentic to him because it carries more meaning; far more valuable than than a sterling silver telephone dialer, even if it is from Tiffany's.

    Some may have already noticed these things but this is my first time and it makes watching the movie over and over again worth it. Perhaps I should read the book.
  • 8 Comments:

    Blogger gayborhood gringo said...

    I seem to say this about every movie you ask me about, but I've never seen this movie. But now I want to, so I'll Netflix it. Thanks for another recommendation.

    7:14 PM  
    Blogger Kalv1n said...

    Hmm...I really did like this movie. I think what I most loved was "cat". I think it was once again along the lines of authenticity. Just because you name a cat doesn't mean that you love it, and aw god, this is nonsense and I'm just a sucker for animals. :(

    8:49 PM  
    Blogger VJnet said...

    OMG! I just saw B@T the other day for the 1st time and was pleasantly surprised. After that The Breakfast Club was on. I guess it was a BreakFest of a day for me :)

    9:31 PM  
    Blogger tornwordo said...

    I have rented it a couple times, but have never actually watched it all the way through. I guess I should try again.

    8:08 AM  
    Blogger Guys' Guy said...

    Well I seem to be one of those gay people you spoke about who LOVE this movie. It is definately a classic for me, though I haven't watched it in sometime...or read the book in a while. I could be wrong, but in the book the woman that you think is a tranny...IS. I can't really remember, also the man Holly falls in love with is also gay. The book had tons of things like that in it. But it's been way to long since reading it to point out anything too specific.

    8:17 AM  
    Blogger Jason said...

    This classic has eluded my viewing as well.
    I'll be adding it to my netflix queue. Thanks for the recommendation ;)

    11:00 AM  
    Blogger Bill said...

    And nothing beat's that Mancini score.

    Cheers, darling.

    8:55 PM  
    Blogger jeremy said...

    yes, read the book. it'll take two hours tops and explains a lot more about varjak. my biggest pet peeve tho is mickey-muthafuckin'-rooney. that dude drives me bonkers. the only movie i can stand him in is Babe II (which is a *really* good movie--way better than the first one).

    1:53 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

    Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares