Thursday, July 20, 2006

Barf


Does anybody else think that this movie looks incredibly tacky?

My Thoughts:

  • Its amazing how quickly history has been spun into mythology.

  • Oliver Stone must really need money.

  • Midterm elections meet World Trade Center movie.

  • Is this really necessary?

  • I don't need to be reminded, I will never forget.

  • Just plain gross.
  • 22 Comments:

    Blogger joey said...

    I saw the trailer at the movie theatre, and every one was dead silent. After it was over, the boyfriend leaned over and said - Why?

    12:28 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hear the United 93 movie was really good, so maybe this will be, too. That said, I won't bother.
    It is tacky.

    12:31 PM  
    Blogger Marc said...

    I saw it the first time when it was called CNN.

    1:13 PM  
    Blogger Kalv1n said...

    Um, I dunno about this one. I would assume that it was a while before people started doing things about WWII, but I'm not very good with my film history. Beyond that, I think a lot of nationalist ideology spreads by making mythology like this. Are you sure it wasn't directed by Leni Reifenstahl?

    1:45 PM  
    Blogger Richard said...

    I think that you are right ... Oliver Stone must be broke. I actually want to the the movie WTC View - that looks like a really good piece exploring the emotional aftermath of New Yorkers.

    PS. Did you wear your pink tutu to the "Orienting" talk?

    2:02 PM  
    Blogger Seeker Onos said...

    Heh. I'm honestly surprised that Hollywierd has waited this long to pull this atrocious bit of tackiness out of its chest of propagan-- erm, entertainment.

    I was kind of expecting the 9-11 miniseries on NBC to have been done in 2003 at the latest.

    Anything to make a buck.

    2:33 PM  
    Blogger Adam said...

    I saw the preview for WTC View when I went to see Strangers With Candy. I agree, Richard, that movie looks interesting and I wasn't turned off by it. I don't mind movies in the context of the WTC but what I don't want is a two hour fear fest infomercial.

    2:59 PM  
    Blogger Dave said...

    I think it's possible to make a tasteful movie about 9/11 (see United 93). I don't trust Oliver Stone to do it, though.

    3:17 PM  
    Blogger The Persian said...

    I'm with Joey, the theatre went dead silent, and it was very creepy. I remember thinking WHY? It is too soon for something like this (at least from my perspective), maybe in 20 years or so I'll be ready to watch this, but not yet.

    3:33 PM  
    Blogger Michael The Shadow said...

    I thought that the film about Flight 93 (?) was in bad taste...now this! I mean come on, do we really need this shite?

    4:08 PM  
    Blogger gayborhood gringo said...

    Like Onos said, anything for a buck.

    6:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The audience went silent because they were in shock that something so tacky had been made. The preview is an obscenity and an insult to those that died in 9/11.

    6:56 PM  
    Blogger Homer said...

    I guess we are supposed to be wanting heroes or something like that. I saw enough on the telly that day to give me nightmares for months.

    7:10 PM  
    Blogger RIC said...

    Fine blog, Adam! Congratulations!
    I just couldn't resist after reading about the activities realated to the man in the WH. Mythologizing history is the way every empire has always found to keep its head up, I guess. At least for a while still. I know nothing about the film, but I know Oliver Stone's work and I don't like it at all. So... I guess I won't be either shocked or surprised when it'll show up around here.
    All the best! :-)

    10:57 PM  
    Blogger tim said...

    It's all about the money... someone gave all those involved enough cash to make the movie. Greed, there's your WoMD.

    11:25 PM  
    Blogger IPinchU said...

    I saw United 93 cause i had too, for my own personal reason. I sat there and cried throughout the entire thing. I spoke to a few people and said, yes it was an amaizng movie but I wouldn't recommend it.

    This one though seems completely different, with its celeb factor and it's lil hollywood spin, I think I will pass on it...

    BUT I would be up for a night out with Jerri Blank!!!

    12:12 AM  
    Blogger Guys' Guy said...

    Did we really need United 93 as well?

    6:19 AM  
    Blogger Daddy Cool said...

    I should write about 9/11 at some point. I had a friend on the flight that crashed into the Pentagon. It was a life-changing event for DC and NYC residents. For me it's not really possible to look at these movies from a detached point of view, this was a real event in my life not some ficitonalized drama.

    7:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is extremely tacky. I go to the movies to be entertained and something just doesn't feel right about being entertained by the tragedies of others. I won't watch this or Flight 93 because I think it's ethically wrong. Maybe a documentary of newsclips to preserve it for history but not a movie. Another one I won't watch is "The Perfect Husband: The Laci Peterson Story". This was in Blockbuster before the trial was even over. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Profiting from other people's misfortunes almost passes from tacky to unethical in my book.

    8:31 AM  
    Blogger Jimmi said...

    The whole "Hero" thing being portrayed, on a film called World Trade Center, after such a huge loss of other people seems a little one sided. The World Trade Center lost more than 2 guys, so why not call the movie something else. Not to mention they picked Nicolas Cage to play a part. BLAH! He is only acting because his uncle is Frances Ford Coppola. No other reason!
    Don’t get me wrong, I think what the firefighters and the police did that day was nothing short of amazing for the situation they were given. What I am saying is if they are going to have a movie about this, there are so many other stories that we don’t know, and the emotional twist this put on so many people beyond the people inside the buildings.
    It is sad that America is so obsessed to see stuff like this weather they like to admit it or not. I can tell you, no one knows what it was really like that day better than the one's that were in the middle of it, and I don't just mean the WTC, many seem to forget that 911 involved The Pentagon and Flight 93. You never hear about the people, the families, and the problems that happened with those. Well not till the movie Flight 93 came out but what about before that? Anyway, for someone to make profit off this would be a crime. I hope the move money is going toward the survivors and the families left behind! [stepping down off soap box]

    10:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Generally, I think that allowing a few decades to pass before turning such events into films is a good idea; the blockbuster versions of Pearl Harbor and Titanic both came out many years after the actual events.

    But what I found interesting and wanted to share is this bit of trivia. Did you know that the very first movie to be made about the Titanic disaster came out on May 14, 1912!? (Granted, it was only a 10 minute short, but it did feature one of the survivors.) So maybe this idea of whether to wait a while isn't so new.

    Here's the IMDb link to that movie:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0002475

    11:33 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Anything for a buck...it's sad.

    This is not a movie that should've been made so soon after the event. Give it 50-70 years.

    11:46 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

    Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares