Monday, October 10, 2005

How Long Must I Incubate?


A Picture Share!
Although I'm not new to research I'm still pretty new at my current job. Its only been two two months since I've started but it feels like a lot longer. When I was hired it seems like the position was going to be pretty demanding. I remember interviewing with the director of the institute and him saying how, "We work hard here." Now that I'm here I spend more time a week reading blogs and engaging in other web based procrastinations. Only its not procrastination. I sincerely have nothing to do. Its gotten to the point where I walk around asking people if I can help them with anything. Sometimes I wight that someone would come over to me while I'm surfing and out of principle assign me to some random task. No one seems to care enough, not enough to say anything. Most days I get so lost in the blogosphere that I'm shocked to see that it's five already.

Being such a far cry from my previous job I'm starting to develop feelings of guilt. I used to arrive at my old job a little before nine, take a quick swig of coffee, and not stop till about ten after five. Sometime I didn't even have time to take a lunch. Here I am now just sitting around and I get a memo today saying, "The director appreciates that long hard work that everyone does at the institute therefore he is giving everyone four days adjacent to the Christmas holiday for us all to take off without using paid time off." I know you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but I feel kind of guilty.

Research isn't exactly the most faced paced environment though. It usually comes in fits and starts. Some days you're doing a million things at once and other days you're just sitting around waiting for things to gestate. I guess I should just relax, take it all in stride. Im sure in a few months I'll be bitching about how busy I am at work.

2 Comments:

Blogger chubbypoulet said...

Great blog and the fact that we are both biotechies!!! You're cute by the way!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Knute123 said...

Word Verification today: inkpeeb. That sounds dirty.

I think you should soak it all in. Enjoy the blogosphere whilst you still can. Your comments reflect my job duties right now exactly. Get to work. Make coffee. Read blogs.

I get very bored, and almost more tired doing this. I want to be DOING something productive, alas. When things are slow, enjoy and expand your mind in other areas.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares