Monday, November 07, 2005

Vox Adamus



The Republican led Texas state legislature accomplished nothing in its previous session except making sure that Prop. 2 got on the ballot in November. They ignored the fact that the state is severely in debt and did nothing to balance the budget. They ignored the fact that the educational system in Texas is defunct. They ignored the fact that money is needed to repair roads, bridges, schools, and other public works. State legislators chose instead to focus their time and energy on an amendment that, if passed, would flat out deny rights to gay people. State legislators chose to ignore the real needs of all the people and chose instead to focus on marginalizing a specific group of people. If Prop 2. passes a message would be sent to the nation and the world that Texans are more concerned about marginalizing gay people's rights than they are about the good of the public.

If you live in Texas and are eligible to vote and you value liberty and a nation where everyone is afforded the same rights and privileges then go and VOTE NO ON PROP. 2!! If you're sick and tired of legislators wasting time and money on issues that benefit nobody but partisan extremists then go and VOTE NO ON PROP 2, NOV. 8 2005!!! Send Rick Perry and the Republican led legislature back to Austin and tell them that superfluous, hateful, and discriminatory laws don't build bridges, fix roads, improve schools, balance budgets, or serve to benefit the overall good of the people!!!

I also wrote this letter to Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson today:

Dear Senator Hutchinson,

Perjury is not, as you said, a "technicality" Senator Hutchinson. I don't seem to remember you thinking that perjury was so trivial when Bill Clinton was caught lying about having sex with one of his interns, a far less damaging lie than leading the entire country into war based on beguiling intelligence. Shame on you Senator for politicizing the law.

Although I identify as a liberal Democrat, and we do not agree on many issues, I always thought you to be a sensible level-headed voice within the Republican party and was pleased to have you represent Texas. However, your comments with regard to the investigation into the CIA leak depict you as a partisan, driven by politics and not by what is right and what is good for our nation. Treason and lying are unacceptable in any circumstance and should never be overlooked for the purposes of political loyalty. I was angry when Clinton lied because he shamed himself and the office of the president. I am angry at Bush and his administration because they lied about the threat from Iraq and they participated in a treasonous smearing of an opponent of their plans to invade Iraq. I know what is right and what is wrong and I never allow my peers to cloud or taint my judgement. I expect the same kind of integrity from a United States Senator.

I am not a person to hold a grudge and I do believe in giving people second chances but actions speak louder than words. As of right now you have lost my vote but most of all you have lost my respect.

Sincerely,
Adam P.
Dallas, TX

6 Comments:

Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Go Adam!

Hope you get a positive response

3:49 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

What a great letter. If only he would read it. I wouldn't hold my breath on the ballot issue, after all it was this kind of hate mongering that got Bush elected the second time. (you know, because of all the gay issues on the ballot at the same time.)

5:36 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Excellent letter Adam! May I "borrow" the jist and adapt for use in Florida - that was really excellent!

7:37 AM  
Blogger jjd said...

way to go adam. I'm sure some lowly intern will be tasked with responding to that letter but it needed to be said regardless. I hear you on Prop 2, talk about creating some smoke and mirrors to distract from REAL issues. Texans (you and other's excluded) should be ashamed.

11:08 AM  
Blogger jeremy said...

My mom will be voting against amending the state constitution of Texas. I don't know why, but I'm grateful. She's a crazy republican. Glad you liked FW. Its my home town and the downtown area along w/ the Kimball Art Museum hold the few happy memories I have of living with Texans. (I was just back last weekend and posted a little about it.)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Well said, Adam.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares