Sunday, October 30, 2005

Sunday Outing


Overcast today in Dallas but we had to get out of the house and the temperature was just right for taking a walk. We live near the Katy Trail here in Dallas. It was an old rail line that was slated to become a mass transit light-rail line but that idea was shot down by the residents of Highland Park. The rail line was moved to underneath Central Expressway.

Highland Park is a part of a two city "bubble" in Dallas referred to as the Park Cities. HP's sister is University Park. All you need to know is that the people that live there have lots of money, most of Bush's largest donations come from people that live in the Park Cities, and they refer to Nieman Marcus as "The Store." Its quite odd because this ultra-rich, ultra-conservative neighborhood is adjacent to the gayborhood. Its an unholy synergy that results in, my opinion, the most fabulous parts of Dallas.

IMG_1084
I digress... The trail is now a paved recreational walkway that allows one to walk, bike, run, rollerblade from downtown Dallas through Uptown and eventually up to Knox-Henderson area. Its a delightful walk and is normally more crowded, especialy with the gays. However, being that last night was the big Halloween block party on the Strip most of the gays were probaly sleeping off their Bud Light-roofie-tina-valium-demerol-percoset-vicodin-Red Bull induced comas. It was nice to have the trail empty this one time though.

IMG_1087
Right off the trail at Knox street is the restaurant I commented on in Gastronomic Adventures and Tepid Begininngs, Toulouse. We walked further down Knox street and although we had walked this street many times before we noticed something new this time. There is a furniture store called Weir's. I've always thought it was a front for a twisted religious cult that is involved in the mail order bride trade. Brad has always scoffed at my accusation but today I think he may finally come around to my theory. Outside of the store they have a clock, which is not weird, but if you look at it more closely it says on the face "Jesus Lord & Savior." I guess at Weir's all the time is Jesus time!
IMG_1088

We made our way down the street and lunched at Wild About Harry's. This is a great place to get hot dogs and some of the best frozen custard I have ever had. There is a wide range of hot dogs, a fantastic cheesesteak sandwich, and the custard flavors are different everyday as they make it fresh daily. Although I love the food here it's somewhat difficult for me to eat here because the proprietor, Harry, has some crucifixes on the wall and a newspaper clipping from the Dallas Morning News when Reagan died. It's just some obstacles that one must endure when frequenting haunts of the residents of Highland Park. As long as I keep my eyes off of the walls I love the food here.

4 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

It was a great weekend for walking in Montreal too. I've only been to Dallas once on the long drive back to LA in Jan 95. And it made me tired just to read:

Light-roofie-tina-valium-demerol-percoset-vicodin-Red Bull induced comas

I'll take a beautiful Sunday stroll over that anytime.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Give me the city to the burbs anyday! What a beautiful area... these places always have the best food... Isn't it funny how in so many cities the gayborhood is so close to those who hate us the most, but LOVE what we do for property values!

6:48 AM  
Blogger jeremy said...

Good ol' Dallas. I grew up there and I blame it and my absent father/domineering mother for the gayness. I'll be back on Friday for a few days (first time in three years). There's this sense of nostalgia mixed with dread--plus flying into the metroplex and looking at at all the strip malls just makes me think of something viral and depressing.

11:56 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

So, if that clock stops, does that mean Jesus doesn't love them anymore?

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares