Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Back To Work


I stepped outside of my building and it was cold and smelled of snow but nothing was falling. The wind was blowing and I saw my breath but I had my coat and just a hat on and I was fine. I didn't slip on the way to the car and there was no sign of ice or other weather related obstacles.

Halfway home I stopped at a Subway and gorged myself on a foot-long meatball sub with Miss Vickey's Jalapeno chips. I thought to myself. If the Subway workers have to be here making sandwiches then what makes me so damn special that I get to go home? It wasn't right that I was going home just because it was cold outside! My mom is a high school teacher in Brooklyn and this time of year she usually skids halfway to work and home on the roads. Yup I got back in my car and went back to work. I cannot reconcile that I should go home early when I live eight minutes away and many of my other colleagues live 45 minutes to an hour away. Not to mention all the other people who work at thankless jobs, like retail and sandwich shops, that still have to work regardless of the weather.

Yeah so I'm going to sit here and read blogs at work instead of at home with dignity.

10 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

DAMN - your Subway meatball sub sounds better than my Patty Melt last night - you are truly a gentleman and a scholar Adam - not many men would put themselves out like you are - one day I hope I can grow up to be just like you! ;-)

2:05 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I have to say this because that's what you do when you live in an icebox five months of the year, it's 15 degrees F here today and windy. It Really sucks.

And I love those Miss Vickie's Jalapeno Chips but dang, they hurt comin' out ; )

2:06 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Gentlemen and scholar my eyeball. Its called having a passive aggressive mother and a workaholic father coupled with catholic guilt. But thanks tho Spider! ;)

3:54 PM  
Blogger tim said...

Thanks for sticking up for us retailers.

4:49 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

This is my impersonation of you, "I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna go back to work--and post on my blog."

5:13 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Damn that's cold. Eh, I'd rather have my 120 degree summer any day over that shit. So you like meatballs...huh? Uh huh....sure you do....sounds like code words to me. ;)

7:01 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good for you, you showed them :)

Really it wasnt that bad today but you couldn't get me out on the road tonight. The problem tonight isn't the icy streets but the yahoos in Dallas who can't drive on them.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

I used to ALWAYS eat the meatball sub but now am partial to Chicken Bacon Ranch, Toasted. Since my daughter works there I get discounts which is ALWAYS good!

We are supposed to get 6-8 inches here tonight but I always make it to work and am even closer that you are to YOUR work. I am a mere 2 minutes away...I COULD walk...naaaaaaa.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great that you are toughing it out.

As for me, I am looking forward to any excuse I can get to take a snow day. I LOVE snow days! Your winter weather is moving out way...should be snowing by tomrrow.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

DAMN Adam - we were raised the exact same way, except I was Episcopal - you know, 'Catholic Lite' - same religion, half the guilt!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares