Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Morning After


I'm a realist and I knew that Prop. 2 was going to pass. It's ok though we didn't need a special election to tell us that 76% of Texans are hate-mongering assholes. We already knew that.

In light of the results of this past election, and its overwhelming public support, I renew my pledge to not attend any marriage that is legally recognized until I myself am afforded the same rights and privileges. If in the event that I receive a wedding invitation, even from a family member, I will RSVP with the following:

Dearest Family Member or Friend,

I cannot attend your wedding for the simple fact that I am not allowed to get married myself although I have been in a loving and monogamous relationship for five years. Attending your wedding would be analogous to sticking me in a cage without food or water for a month for no reason and then callously dangling food in my face but not allowing me to eat it. Until the law of this land is inclusive to all the people of this nation I cannot, in good conscience, participate in an event that is a de facto manifestation of discrimination.

7 Comments:

Blogger tim said...

Oh my goodness... I am doing the same thing. I refuse to attend any wedding until we are allowed that right as well. And I too am writing something similar. I think I love you. Of course, my boyfriend (8 years) thinks I am crazy but, hey, nobody told him to stay.

9:09 AM  
Blogger jjd said...

hmm.. 75% is a depressing number, even in Texas. Oh well, I guess it should have been expected. Haven't heard what happened in Maine yet.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Knute123 said...

Here Here!

What a sad day for Texas. While the rest of the US rejected these measures and voted down a bigoted and Republican agenda, Texans had to prove that their woefully underdeveloped brains and appalling sense of morality was on display for all to see.

Sigh. Lucky us.

Where are the Ceylons when you need them?

Hang in there Adam. It will change in our lifetime. Texans are just a little...slow.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I admire your stand - and is one that I think I need to start to take... excellent post man!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good response Adam, I havent gone to a wedding in 10 years for the same reason.

We should all move to Maine, at least the summers are better.

4:37 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I love your passion. And I'm so grateful to live in a place that has afforded me that right. It's worth fighting for.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Shauntae AuPair said...

Apparently we have friends in Arlington who feel the same as you do.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares