Friday, May 05, 2006

Cereal Box Redux

I've commented before on cereal boxes and the marketing messages the maker of these cereals try to convey to the consumer. Well it so happened that again I was struck at the idiocy of advertising and how it really must be that the majority of the people in the industry have never understood what editing is or what focus groups are.

Take this cereal box for example:
A Picture Share!


Clearly this is an attempt at cross-promotion but upon casting my visage on this cereal box I could not help but be whisked away to my youth in kindergarten. Workbook exercises were a regularity in those days and many times they involved being shown pictures of various objects and being asked which one doesn't belong. Smily happy sun man does not belong with angry oversized gorilla. Note to the Madison Avenue Kellogg's ad execs: this image is disturbing and makes me NOT want to buy Raisin Bran.

Here is another one:
A Picture Share!


Smily, happy Tucan Sam: good. Hairy, angry gorilla: bad.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kalv1n said...

Aw, but tucan Sam and the gorilla are both from the jungle. And todays kids are used to violence from cartoons. I wonder what kids really think when they see this. I admit, it's a wee bit strange. But I never liked that sun anyway...I hope Kong gives it to him good.

12:43 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

They should just make a Kong version of the box instead of mixing up the mascots.

It's funny the shit six figure salaried individuals come up with. Funny in a pathetic way.

7:31 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

The Froot Loops box makes me laugh.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Jihadist Jerry said...

We no have cereal like this in IRAN. Is Fruit Loop for gay people?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Guys' Guy said...

I agree with Tornwordo...if Shrek can have his own cereal...why not King Kong. How did they miss that marketing opportunity? Pure Gold!

12:41 PM  
Blogger GayProf said...

I say that Tucan Sam and the damn Sun deserve to be eaten by a giant gorilla. They have been loafing around for years.

2:20 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

"Smily, happy Tucan Sam: good. Hairy, angry gorilla: bad."

that made me laugh so hard!

Yea I see your point, what the hell does one have to do with another (save the jungle thing Kalvin mentioned)?

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Marketing, isn't it wonderful?

What about those fun little playgrounds that McDonalds installs for the little rugrats to burn off all those fries...

I go Cukoo for Coco-Puffs!!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Its good of Madison Ave. to let third graders have their shot at an advertising campaign.

(That is what happened, right?)

6:37 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

They should mix up more odd combinations - keeps breakfast interesting. :)

7:36 PM  
Blogger gayborhood gringo said...

As Tornwordo mentioned, they should have dedicated the box to just Kong. What they have instead looks like a half-assed (and obviously low budgeted) marketing campaign.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Oh My God...I'm still laughing at the thought of little kids screaming at the scary sight of those boxes....that is TOTALLY Mad TV material.

10:47 PM  
Blogger The Gay Guru said...

Does any commercials make sense anymore?? A nice sunny day when talking about douche products that go where the sun dont shine, King Kong and Toucans?? Bet Tony the Tiger could take him, he's greaaaaaaaat!! Bruce over at Senseless sent me, good blog, nice podcast...GG

10:26 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I wish they'd create a box with you casting your visage.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares