Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What’s your portmanteau?

Today I've been chained to a very large very expensive machine at work that sorts cells. The thing with very large and very expensive machines is that they, like very large and very expensive people, need a lot of attention so I've been sitting with it all day whilst it does it's magic.

Luckily for me this machine has a PC connected to it and this PC has internet access. Its always a treat to use Windows. I imagine myself a prince having escaped from his palace in disguise to mingle with the common folk, doing the things that common folk do. Anyway, I digress. So while on the internet I was researching some things. In my boredom I went to the almighty source for all useless information Wikipedia and typed in "Blog."

Naturally there is an entry for "Blog" and I learned that the word blog is a type of word called a portmanteau. A portmanteau, French for suitcase or a valise, is a word that mashes the sounds and meanings of two other words to make a new word.

Some Examples:

web + log = blog

information + commercial = infomercial

smoke + fog = smog

Reagan + economics = Reaganomics

fucking + ugly = fugly


Wikipedia offers a link to a site where you can create your own portmanteau and add it to the collection. Here are some that are on the site.

flux + weight = fluctuweight (to lose and put on weight repeatedly)

apocalypse + lapse = apocolapse (the gap between predictions of when the world will end)

mediocre + democracy = mediocracy (a democracy where mediocrity is allowed to dominate)


You get the idea. I entered a portmanteau that Brad and I commonly use.

procrastinate + masturbate = procrasturbate (to masturbate even when not horny just to avoid doing other pressing tasks)

What’s your portmanteau? Submit Your Portmanteau Here

4 Comments:

Blogger jeremy said...

severe + serious = severious(ly) as in, "Did you see the hair on dat bitch? It was severiously fugly."

3:35 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Snotcicle

Mucous running from one's nose during very cold weather that freezes creating snot+icicles, or snotcicles that dangle from one's nostrils.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Tony Adams said...

Well this may not be a Vuitton portmanteau, but a few years back, C and I stayed at a Boston hotel where, every time we entered the elevator, we were attacked by the same set of Muzaked Vivaldi. It became the dreaded Vivaldilator.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Tony Adams said...

C just reminded me of something I had forgotten: while at that hotel, one evening, we walked into the Vivaldilator only to be greeted by silence. C said, "Oh. The Vibaldilator must be Baroqken".

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares