Monday, May 08, 2006

Another Step Towards Fascism

Hud Secretary's blunt warning

Brad found this article in the Dallas Business Journal and its actually quite disturbing. I urge all of you to go and read the article and spread it on your blogs or through email (to your Senators and Representatives specifically) because its a fine example of how the current administration is steeped in cronyism and is on the fast track to making this a fascist nation.

In brief, Alphonso Jackson, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), was relating an anecdote at a Dallas Housing Authority forum.

"He had made every effort to get a contract with HUD for 10 years," Jackson said of the prospective contractor. "He made a heck of a proposal and was on the (General Services Administration) list, so we selected him. He came to see me and thank me for selecting him. Then he said something ... he said, 'I have a problem with your president.'

"I said, 'What do you mean?' He said, 'I don't like President Bush.' I thought to myself, 'Brother, you have a disconnect -- the president is elected, I was selected. You wouldn't be getting the contract unless I was sitting here. If you have a problem with the president, don't tell the secretary.'

"He didn't get the contract," Jackson continued. "Why should I reward someone who doesn't like the president, so they can use funds to try to campaign against the president? Logic says they don't get the contract. That's the way I believe."


This is utter bullshit. To deny someone a contract simply based on their political views is wrong. The contractor who told Jackson his views was exercising his right to speak freely about the president and should not have been denied a contract for doing such.

Why is this so wrong? Imagine a country where the National Institutes of Health, The National Endowment for the Humanities, The National Science Foundation, The Environmental Protection Agency, The Center for Disease Control, The Federal Bureau of Investigation, The Central Intelligence Agency etc. so forth and so on only granted money to, protected, and hired people who not only implicitly supported the president but also refused to deal with anyone that outwardly spoke against the president? That is totalitarianism, not democracy. These agencies exist to extend opportunity to those who are in need and to protect the citizenry. They do not exist to reward only those who are loyal to the president and penalize those who disagree with him.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kalv1n said...

I'm confused why the guy would say this anyway, and then why would the other guy admit it. I guess I need to read the whole article. It does suck though.

6:02 PM  
Blogger DanNation said...

When i see these stories, I first think I'm reading "The Onion." Then, I realize that it's real.

I'm sure this happens all the time.

7:23 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

It's already a fascist state, country, and possible world that we live in. How else to explain that we could reduce 80% of the oil needed to run the vehicles in the country by switching to ethanol. The only explanation is that the oil companies won't let us.

Did you know that reindeer meat is outlawed in the lower 48 states. That's a special law lobbied by the cattle industry to prevent the Inuit eskimos from having a market for their products. Charming, eh? We can't eat reindeer meat, because cattlemen want to protect profits.

Still feel like a free country?

6:49 AM  
Blogger Homer said...

I'm so sick of Republicans. They never play fair.

1:24 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Hi Adam, I looked at your profile, and you are right up my alley. Oops, was that a pun? I have been writing about fascism in this country, and trying to raise awareness. Thanks for your post. I would like to link to you.
DEL

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that IS a shame. i would kill for a juicy reindeer burger right about now. seriously though, i lean towards the more george carlinesque position every day.

6:04 PM  
Blogger VJnet said...

Adam, You hit the nail on the head.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Jihadist Jerry said...

Heya Tornwordo, it is no Oil Companies that won't let you switch to Ethanol, yes! It is YOU that won't switch to ethanol. YOU still live in democracy, right? YOU still have choice, right? It only take a small whisper to start a roar, yes!! How can this article surprise anyone, Haliburton has been suck many politician cock for years!! I wish you all many camel kisses.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Seeker Onos said...

Counterpoint to Mr. Jihadist Jerry:

I'd love to switch to ethanol or E85.

Thing is, there is a very limited supply of it, and the distribution network of petrol stations that provide it.

And that doesn't even touch on the lack of flex-fuel vehicles in this country.

Simply put, there is very little market for something when that market is forcibly suppressed by an oligopolist concern of a few extremely rich companies (automakers, oil suppliers, rigged voting machines, and evil dictatorial governments).

Voice of democracy? My brothers, it may already be too late to speak, if the system shuts us out to begin with.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares